Thursday, March 14, 2013

salem stoneware


The Salem China Company of Ohio was founded in 1898 by Pat and John McNichol, Dan Cronin and William Smith. During 1898 through 1960 the company focused on production and distribution of china and stoneware. After 1960 most of the pieces were designs set for department stores as seasonal prints, novelties, and souvenir ware when the company ceased production and focused solely on the the distribution aspect of the brand. The Georgetown run was created in honor of the US capital in the late 1920's early 1930's and was continued as a un-revamped line until the 1980's when production runs changed and began to focus for on distribution of novelty ware. The Georgetown line is simple and utilitarian with little patterning of brown and blue it also hosted a special eagle adornment on dinner plates and mugs during the 1960's. It has an incredible through back to the burgeoning modern america while holding on to our simple roots. 

7 comments:

  1. I have a set like this minus design in middle. Any idea when it was manufactured?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and No. This particular set does not have the coding on the back mark to indicate its age. During my research I was able to find most of the others, though unfortunately not for this set. Most signs point to production as early as 1920 with on and off production until 1990.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a complete collection. dishes bowls cups & serving ware. I started collecting in in 1977. It was a promotion at a bank where I had my account. you could get place settings & serving pieces with a $25 deposit. maybe it was produced about that time late 70's.

      Delete
    2. I have two place settings of these dishes and am now collecting more. In 1978 I worked in downtown Pittsburgh. I got paid weekly in cash. I had an account with Equibank and they offered these dishes as a premium when you made a deposit. Only having two place settings. I’m looking to collect more.

      Delete
  4. I have an eight place setting including sugar and creamer and a round platter. All the pieces have the blue eagle and the original silver salem collection on the back and have never been used. Any idea of the current value?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know if this stoneware contains lead in the glaze or not?

    ReplyDelete